Thursday, November 12, 2015

November 2015 Part 1

 
I made Ashlyn's class some turkey sugar cookies. Jeremy saw them before they were all the way decorated and had no clue what they were. Admittedly it was late and I was tired of making things (getting ready for Ashlyn's party too) but Ashlyn requested something "Fall" and these looked easy enough.  The next day though we saw a classmate of hers and when he asked if he had known what the cookies were the little boy said, "flies?"
 
The cake gave me quite a few problems too.  We had a decent size RSVP list so I planned to do two cakes, but then Jeremy said I should make it with two tiers. I decided to humor him (and probably Ashlyn too) but only after I had already ordered the pre-sized sugar sheet AND made the cakes.  Cutting them down wasn't too hard, but then the sugar sheet wouldn't come off the paper so I just stuck the whole thing on top, paper backing and all.  I tried to make things easier by frosting with store bought frosting, but that was a big headache  For everything that was a pain, I think it turned out pretty good.

 It's going to be a fun birthday!
 Dad is at it again with a breakfast pancake for Ashlyn...she's 6!
 We had soccer games and her friend party on the day of her birthday but she wanted to open just a few presents in the morning.


 
A huge tree branch, some might say it was the size of a tree itself, fell in the woods behind the house so Jeremy spent some time using a chain saw, a first for him, to chop it all up. Nice work for a beginner!


 
 All set for the festivities.  I tried to convince her to do a safari or Wild Kratts party, not just a cheetah party but she kept coming back to it so I obliged.  The thanks you we sent home was a bag of Chester Cheetah's.  I thought that might be a nice change for parents after all the sweets the kids have probably had since Halloween.  I should probably add that Ashlyn knows enough about cheetah's that although she was excited she asked if there was anything that was actually cheetah print, not leopard.  Technically, cheetah spots are just that, spots. They don't have the whole in the middle like leopard spots. 
 Last soccer games of the year.  It was a little rainy for most of the game and towards the end started to rain a bit more.  The coaches asked us if we wanted to quit and none of the parents really spoke up so they asked the girls....the girls all yelled a unanimous NO!  So they played on! Afterward they sang happy birthday to Ashlyn.


 
 Ellia's last soccer game.
 
 It's party time!  Half the guests had arrived before Ashlyn would come out.  She was having wardrobe issues.  We discussed earlier that morning what she could NOT wear, but we both had to compromise a bit in the end.  Coincidentally another mom that dropped her daughter off said she had the same type of morning, and her daughter was dressed a lot like Ashlyn!
 These big girls were a lot of help with the party.  They did their own thing but stayed close to help, and only participated in the crafts when the smaller girls were done.  We had hoped to have Ashlyn's party outdoors but knew about a week in advance to plan otherwise.  Most of what I had planned were crafts so that wasn't too hard, but we did have to modify the games to avoid things like tag in the house, and because of that the games weren't all cheetah themed but I don't think the kids noticed!
 They all got ears, masks and tails plus I drew whiskers on their faces.  Again Ashlyn was pretty technical about the tail and made us cut the hair off the bottom of hers.  The crafts were decorating their animal pieces, making a bracelet with some cheetah, er uh, leopard print beads, and using cupcake liners to make a cheetah.

 Cheetah, Cheetah, Gazelle.  I realized later it should have been the other way around, but again I don't think the kids noticed that the cheetah was actually being chased by the Gazelle.  They probably could have played this for quite a while!

 We moved on to a game where they had to hold hands and pass a hula hoop around the circle, and they probably would have made it all the way, but Quincy and another 3 year old sibling got restless and started pulling the circle around. 

 By the time we got to cake Ashlyn was totally cheered up!


 It didn't hurt to end with lot's of fun presents. We asked the parents to come back a little earlier than originally planned since we had moved the party indoors, and it worked out perfectly.  They were beginning to get a little rowdy just as parents were showing up.
 To finish off the day she got to open the rest of the presents from us and everyone else that couldn't be here.

 
 Attending a missionary homecoming with Quincy's bestie Percy.


 It was so nice to go to a party I didn't plan!  I did happen to be the guest of honor though, which of course was fun too.  When I saw all the blue it hit me in a new way that I am actually having a BOY!  The decorations and treats were all so cute!  My visiting teachers, Brittany and Regan joined Melissa to throw the shower.  Besides a hitch with our neighbor getting mad about people being parked on the curb outside his house, and me saying some silly things, the night was amazing!  I was definitely showered with gifts and so many loving people.  Melissa had such a cute theme of "Feather her Nest" and used it throughout the décor.  They even let me bring the game, Baby Shower Bingo....my family favorite, and true to tradition, it was a great time.




 One spoiled boy already.  When I got home Ashlyn came and touched my stomach and asked, "how did you shower the baby?"

 Most popular item of the night!  Two of the girls who bought them are best friends so it was a good laugh, and luckily they are all different sizes.


A little fishing trip with dad. They also built a little trail in the woods.




No comments: