Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Yard Work



Another week in California and only more to love! Jeremy and I spent a lot of time working on our backyard last weekend and it is coming along quite nicely. I love shopping for vegetation to plant and thinking about all the other things we can do to improve the look and feel of our backyard in the future – although I am having a hard time waiting for the future, I want to do it all NOW!

Basically there is so much to look forward to here right now. I hope I always feel that way!

Jeremy and I are using one car right now which is working out really great – although sometimes I get some strange looks while I am shopping at Wal-Mart with my baby at 6:30 a.m. when all the employees are stocking shelves. Let me explain. On days when Ellia wakes up as early as Jeremy I get up with them and drive him to work so I can have the car. Then, since Ellia and are both dressed and in the car I sometimes stop at Wal-Mart to pick up a few things. Yep, I am pretty much the only one there, but I can get any question I have answered by any number of employees, and whatever I want is always available, no waiting in checkout lines etc.

Luckily I also found a grocery store that I LOVE! It’s called WinCo Foods, awesome prices and brand options for most things. The last thing I need to find is a new brand of bread we like that doesn’t cost a fortune, no luck with that so far.


More discoveries:

Instead of Sno Cone Stations on every supermarket corner there are coffee stations.

Liquor on the end of every grocery store aisle is hard to get used to.

Stores feel so far apart. There are lot’s of little shopping districts everywhere, but nothing like University Ave in Provo that has so many of my favorite stores. Here, it seems they have everything, but only ONE of everything, which makes stopping at a “few” places time consuming and gas guzzling.

Because most of the roads have center strips, next to the green arrow turning lights there is actually a street sign indicating that U turns are an option vs. the No U Turns sign – this just makes turning right on a red light a little more tricky.

Ellia is getting her second tooth, still not crawling.

Recycling is a big deal. I kindof already knew that because all the glass drink bottles you see have CA cash refund stamped into them. However, I did not know that for an extra few dollars a month you can get a separate can to put all your recyclables in. Yes, I am doing it. Now I will have a tan can, a green can and a blue can. This will save me a lot of trips down the street to the recycling collection center I was using before.



House tour with furniture


Backyard Day 1


Backyard a few weeks later


Day 1


Today


Before

After

Who's ready for a swim? This was after a really windy/dirty storm, blygck.

No peas mom.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Look like lots of fun. It's really hard to believe you're there. I got so use to you being just a short drive away. We really look forward to visiting sometime. Miss ya already :)

erin said...

how fun!! i had to take scott to the airport early one morning so we stopped by wal-mart, it was fabulous! no lines. the yard is looking great and ellia is as cute as can be.

The Van Horn's said...

I love your comment about tile counter tops in the kitchen. Who in the world thought that cleaning all those little grout lines would be fun?!! Your yard is looking great. We have warm days here and there and the first thing I think about is what I can do in the yard.

Chelsea said...

We have Winco here and I totally love it! The best part is that we save so much money shopping at Winco. I don't know how I will live without it if we move to a place with no Winco.

Keysha said...

Great pictures! It looks like you guys are already getting settled and making the place yours! (I bet you are loving all the space!) As we were driving to Long Beach last week i saw the sign for the turn off to Bakersfield....not be confused with the podunk Baker). I thought of you! (Maybe another time we will take the exit and cruise that direction for a dip in your pool!) I love California and think it's beautiful! Keep posting!

Travis & Liz said...

Hey, I am writting a comment for the first time. The yard looks dang good and the pool, well might need a cover for the sand storms. Looks like Lia was digging for worms with her mouth. She is a true fisherbaby. I miss you guys so much. It is finally hitting me that you are really not just on another internship but you are there to stay. I can't wait to come visit. Jeremy we seriously need to hit the upper Kern for some High Country Fly Fishing. It will be so much fun. Steph I tried to do a 360 at the canyons when Liz and I went and that didn't work out to well, but I did run Canis Lupis 2 times and without really crashing into the wall very hard. That was tons of fun when we went to The Canyons together. Have fun and hope you guys can make to St George next weekend.

Peace,

Travis