Thursday, February 21, 2008

Learning about Bakersfield

Maybe it was just because we lived in a college town, but I have never SEEN so many door to door salesmen! I bought some cleaner but resisted the set of Bible stories and snack foods.

I drive slow. Between lights in the neighborhood areas drivers get going about 60 miles per hour! The other day I think an old granny whizzed past me.

I have never appreciated garbage service more. We had to wait a week and a half for our garbage can and I was SO excited to get it! Now I think I take garbage service less for granted. Really, what would we do with all our trash if someone didn't pick it up and haul it away? It would pile up and stink and rot, blugh.

There is a church called "Crossover Church." I must say it does spark some interest.

Little Ceaser's hot n' ready pizza is $7.00 not $5.00.

The neighborhood we live in reminds me of West Jordan a little bit. There are lot's of neighborhood communities in their individual fenced areas, lot's of gated communities etc. Driving around our house we see a lot of a golf course, and little shopping areas interspersed with the houses. I really like it.

Things really can get lost in the move. So far I cannot find my bluetooth handsfree set for my phone which I just barely got for Christmas and was really starting to enjoy. Worse an entire box of which I have slowly discovered the contents. Children's books, newspapers from high school where I was featured in an article, and . . . journals. Three entire journals one of which was the record of my time dating Jeremy and our wedding. I can only hope that it gets found through the movers tracking system. Boo.

The way the water smells makes me feel like I am on vacation...it's nice! The more I try to identify the smell though, the more I think it smells like dirt. . . not nice.

I miss Super Wal-mart. There isn't one here, or a Super Target. The other day I was grocery shopping at Foods Co. (very original name isn't it?) and I almost had an anxiety attack, although I compared it with other grocers and it seemed to be cheaper, things still seemed so much more expensive than I am used to. I sortof expected that, but the more frustrating part was that there were often no cheap brand options. ONE brand of this, ONE brand of that. Ahh! I seriously was getting so irritated and thought I might have a heart attack, but decided to walk a few doors down to the regular Wal-mart for some of the "dry" items I needed. I can't tell you how much more comfortable I felt the second I walked in there. My stress level completely dissipated - it felt like a little piece of home, something I KNEW! (Jeremy just called me White Trash for saying that.)It was the weirdest feeling and I have honestly never appreciated Wal-Mart more, luckily they had more food items than I would have expected, but I am still anxiously awaiting the announcement of a super Wal-Mart here in Bakersfield. Please if you know something I don't, DO NOT hold out on me!



For those of you who don't know where Bakersfield is, or think it's Baker - P.S. it's NOT Baker.


An idea of the floor plan



Getting Closer!

9 comments:

Linds said...

Congrats on the big move! We're glad you're safe and sound. Jeff is hoping we can come and visit so that he can return to some old "mission memories". Anyways, keep updating the blog with your adventures!

Chelsea said...

I hear ya on the just wanting something familiar. In that instance, I don't think the comfort you found in Wal-mart was white trash. You'll get more familiar with the area and be shopping at all the local stores like a true local before you know it!

Heather said...

So much fun! We can't wait to come visit. It was fun to have you as our first guests the other night & that game was such a great gift!! I can't wait until we can relax & play it. Oh wait I did beat Jared at it the other day! Keep in touch & keep crawling Ellia!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
erin said...

Congrats on such a fun house! I had a pool growing up and it was so much fun for me, but work for my parents - hope you guys figure it out so you can enjoy it as well. We just signed papers for our house last night - ahhh! We are buying a fixer upper with a basement we can rent. It is a big step, as you well know. Can't wait to see pictures of ya'll swimming! take care.

Amber Culp Family said...

We are glad to see you made the big move. Happy to see you like the new digs. Ellia is getting so big and is she seriously trying to crawl? So cute.

The Van Horn's said...

Amelia and Ashely were both backwards crawlers at first. Amelia would back up into corners and closets and Ashley was always getting stuck under the bed.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Kay Family said...

Hey Stef!! Your house looks great, and you have done a good job with the palm tree that you were dreading!! Do you know Brett Remund from Midway (Rachel's older brother, Martha's son?) He and his wife and their twin daughters live in Bakersfield. Maybe you will run into each other?!? Oh, and I LOVE WinCo Foods! Except the 'bag your own groceries' rule they have (and not taking credit/debit cards, grrr.) But the prices are totally worth it. We didn't mind the Flavorite generic brand either. As time goes on you'll learn all the in's and out's of your new city and you will love it.